Stardate: 37 Weeks...when is this over again?
CJ is measuring way big. Dr. Williams scheduled us for another ultrasound for size on Tuesday...let's hope we won't need it. :-) CJ very well maybe a Scalini's baby. Scalini's, in Marietta, is known for it's Eggplant Parm causing women to go into labor within 48 hours, some the same night! Over the last 23 years, it's produced over 300 "Scalini babys". Friday May 28th will be four years that Lindsay and I have been together; I guess if we're going to tempt fate, we might was well give the kid a story. ;-)
This past Saturday, Lindsay and I decided to loot Babys R Us for items on our registry that we absolutely could not due without. We went ape and needed two buggies. Thank GOD for our wonderful family and friends; with the gift cards we were given, one buggy full of purchases cost us a whopping $16!
The other buggy, well, wasn't so fortunate.
The other buggy (which was full, with a box on top that I had to hold down) was full of items that were either on sale or we had coupons for, thus more advantageous for us. I single handedly backed up the customer service line; 6 separate transactions in order to use all of the coupons. That total? I'd say $700 easily (I didn't take the time to add them up).
The shopping trip lead to Lindsay and I discussing our strategy heading into the pregnancy and how we didn't feel the "burn" of the old adage "having kids is expensive".
First, we saved. This was the single biggest reason we didn't get burned financially. We kept medical expenses in check and paid off. I kept reminding Lindsay Saturday that if she felt we needed it, get it. We were more than prepared for the purchase.
Second: WE HAVE AN AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME support system. Thank you guys and we love you. :)
Third: We spread our purchases out over the entire nine months. Big reason we didn't get gored on the monetary end of things.
I'd also throw in there as advice to anyone expecting their first child to keep an open mind. We were both pretty apprehensive about accepting second hand items from non-relatives, but a former coworker of Lindsay's gave us a bouncy seat that was in next to new condition! Another current coworker of hers gave us a swing that was in next to new condition. Two scores we wouldn't have been given by being closed minded.
While shopping for a birthday gift, we found diapers at BRU that had a $15 incentive for two boxes, in the form of a gift card; when we bought the diapers, Lindsay wasn't even showing. Without that purchase, we wouldv'e had to buy diapers this past weekend (well, we did anyway, but...) *and* we wouldn't have gotten the incentive. Our net $16 dollar purchase is now at least $206.
40 x 4 boxes = $160 (diapers we probably would've purchased at some point)
$30 ($15 gift card for every two boxes)
= $190 + $16 (out of pocket) = $206
The past few weeks, both Lindsay and I have been sleeping horribly. I'm pretty sure my issues are related to her tossing and turning. Last Friday night, I feel asleep stretched out on the chair in the living room with the comforter from our bed. When I woke up, I relocated to the couch. I slept pretty well (between my sneak peaking the episode of "Law & Order" on TNT --I feel asleep with the TV on). I asked Lindsay if she let me sleep or if I wouldn't get up. She said she did a breath check to make sure I was breathing --I was that out of it. I guess I should get used to not sleeping much, but now that I'm used to getting close to 8 hours a night, getting less is not working out so well. Back in the day, 5-6 was all I needed. Ahhh, to be young again.
Next time we chat, CJ *should* be here...he's being as stubborn as we thought he would :-D
-CM
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment