Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pappa Perspective, Post 11

Well...I certainly have had an interesting go of it lately...

One month ago I competed in a full contact karate tournament; that's quite an accomlishment (if I do say so myself), but you have to take into account that my child was about 35 days old. Since I chose not to neglect my training (nor my child), I spent 28 --I didn't train the week he was born-- of those days waking up early and going to bed late; I've never enjoyed coffee so much! Talk about burning the candle at both ends.

Sonny-boy decided to tell his Dad in the most feeling-crushing way that he indeed prefers Dove Men+Care Deep Clean, and nothing else. Trust me Kid, I get the picture.

I went to Rite Aid a few weeks ago to get a few items; while I was there, I remembered that I was just about out of body wash; they didn't have the Dove kind, so like any other dude, I got something else. I ran out and switched over, no big deal in my opinion, but OH BOY did CJ care. I could count down to his cry, it was like clockwork. And I'm not talking about some pansy little 6 week old cry; he tried his damnedest to let the entire neighborhood know he was not happy.

After about 5 days of high household tension (Lindsay, understandably, needed a break and CJ did not like the strange smelling character that looked like his dear ole dad...), Lindsay started to inquire: we eliminated fabric softener right off the bat, as we'd been using it awhile and Lindsay's clothes were washed in it too. We also struck down cologne (although, we've since discovered he's not a fan of that either...) and arrived at the body wash. Luckily, we made this discover before I left for the gym, which enabled me to stop and grab the usual.

We took this picture almost a minute after I picked him up for the first time after my shower:


He hasn't been that content in a few weeks, although he does love going for walks in the Jeep carrier.

Family photo:


He stayed in there until the testing started and I had to take him out. Everyone loved the fact that he hung out inside of my gi for so long without so much as a peep. I was quite relieved and I've got to be honest; I don't get rattled by much, but his Pappa-aversion got to me a little bit.

This past Monday, CJ received his 2 month shot. Lindsay and I weren't quite sure what to expect, so we made sure we were prepared...or so we thought.

No, we haven't been living under a rock and no we're not dumb, we knew Tylenol was under recall. Problem is, there seems to have been the unexpected problem of "The sky is falling..." mentality amongst consumers of infant-dosage acetaminophen; we went to five stores looking for an off brand. In fairness to the parents out there, it very well may have been incompetence on the store's behalf by failing to keep an increased stock. And in fairness to all parties, it could've been a little out of column A and a little out of column B.

Sure enough, however, we left for the doctor's appointment Monday and failed to A). bring the meds with us and B). administer a dose before we left.

...I think it may have been a sign. Before we get to shot itself, CJ is a healthy boy....gassy, but healthy. :)

He ranks in the 95% weight wise at 14LBS 7OZ, although only eats about 10 minutes a pop every few hours; kid doesn't play! He also ranks in the 75% percentile in terms of height, which means he has a chance to hit 6 feet tall...I'm pulling for ya kid.

We decided that I would hold CJ for his shot, unfortunately the nurse didn't really give me time to distract him before poking him in the leg. I think the shot scared the s**t out of him, given the lower half of his body scootched across the bed and he looked at the nurse, as if to let her know the "pimp hand is strong!"...then he wailed. I said to him, "It's ok Boo-Boo, we're almost done..." and immediately turned to Lindsay...I'm still not sure who needed to be consoled more. He didn't really change cadence or cry any harder when he received shots #2 and #3, which is why I think it merely scared him.

The rest of the day wasn't as bad as we'd originally thought; he slept most of the time and really just wanted to be held, though he did sleep awhile in his cosleeper. Later that evening, he laid on my chest while I dorked out watching TNA Impact on DVR and Monday Night Raw. After about an hour, he slid his head down, which I personally found to be incredibly uncomfortable due to the way I had to lay to support his head...so I moved him up. A short time later, he moved back.

The boy is persistent, I'll give him that.

After we repeated this dance a few more times, I gave up. It was a lot easier to do so when I realized this enabled him to hug me as he slept; his right arm on my left shoulder and his left arm on the left side of my neck, clenched tight as if to say "don't put me down Pops, don't put me down". :-D

That's my special little guy.

Until next time...
-CM

No comments:

Post a Comment