Monday, October 12, 2009

Pappa's Perspective, Post 2

Well, this was an interesting weekend.

First was the Roswell Youth Day Parade Demo and then there was the Light the Night Walk.

The Youth Day event is something that our dojo has participated in several times over the past few years; it's part obligation since the dojo is located inside of the park that hosts the festivities, but it is fun because a majority of the students are kids (or parents) and the kids get to show their talents and shine in front of their community. It was totally fun, and I thought the cat was out of the bag for the whole dojo. One of the ladies from the dojo walked up to Lindsay and said "I used to be into the baby shows too, up until I had my own..." and I kinda made a face, then realized she was making conversation based on something I'd said. Lindsay took it in stride; good thing I didn't ruin it...

Seeing all of the kids made me excited, or scared, for Trunks to start training. On one hand, s/he will be exposed to karate from the moment of birth onward; on the other, I was a clumsy kid and didn't really become athletic until adulthood and Lindsay...well...oxygen trips her (while she's standing still) and is prone to running into things that are plainly visible and haven't moved in forever. One guy in our dojo has two kids not in karate; he little boy was watching and just seeing the excitement in his eyes and his interest in the demo really makes me excited for Baby Trunks getting to that age. :-)


Later that evening, Lindsay and I participated in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Light the Night Walk at Centennial Olympic Park. It was very emotional, right from the start. When we arrived at the Marta station, there was another group going down for the walk, and they all had "Angela's Angels" team shirts. This kinda brought the whole thing into perspective for both of us.

We have a good friend Shawn, who is a two time Lymphoma survivor; we both wrote Shawn's name on our shirts, Trunk's grandma Peggy, who is a breast cancer survivor, both of our dad's and my mom's best friend, who all passed away. I probably jumped to a big conclusion in thinking that Angela was a child, but I get the hunch I am correct. A lot of folks at the walk were walking in honor of children; the walk was lead by a child survivor. As great as being an expectant parent is, we have a ton to worry about.

People ask about gender preference and my response is I don't care, I want a healthy child; truth be told, I will LOVE Trunks, and his/her eventual siblings no matter the baby's health or if s/he is born with three heads, six legs and red hair. Having children is not so much a cut and dry issue. I do not consider myself to be "active" with charities, but I do contribute to them quite regularly, especially one's that have special meaning to people who are close to me; I think after the LLS walk this past weekend, *why* I contribute became very real.

Speaking of people asking about gender...

Trunk's Grandma's found out on Sunday. First we had Grandma Peggy and Uncle Mike over for lunch. We sent Uncle Mikey to the store so that we could keep the revelation strictly to Grandma. I offered to take a pic of Peggy and Lindsay.

"Say 'cheese'" (despite the fact that Lindsay was already shouting cheese and the camera wasn't opened yet).
"(both) Cheese..."
"Now, say Lindsay's pregnant"
Peggy: Lindsay's pregnant...wait, what! She is!!!! (mouth hits floor).


I don't have the picture with me, but I'm sure Lindsay will post it. I've stolen enough of her thunder on that topic, so I will let her post it.

Next up was Grandma Annie; she worked late, so I called 3-4 times before I got a hold of her...and it was late. I told her she needed to take vacation time in February for my graduation. She started saying something about being cold and I replied "well, you can come down in June and chill in the AC with your grandbaby..."
Annie: "What grandbaby?"
Me: "Your new grandbaby!"
Annie:"... (processing)...(processing)...(processing)...congratulations!"

I plan on talking to her later on in the week, I think she'll be a little more excited than 11pm at night and just off work. Deep down, I'm hoping this will be the catalyst for her working less, maybe even retiring.

We also clued in a few more friends; Christa, Dan (Christa's Dan, not Daniel) and VC all know as well. Telling is the fun part, keeping it a secret not so much. I'd feel a ton better telling after the first doctor's appointment...10/30 seems soooo far away. :-/

Until next time,
~C

No comments:

Post a Comment